As of April 21, 2017, the following position has been filled.
New Britain Youth Theater seeks a (very) part-time Set Builder and Technical Director to work a flexible schedule of up to five hours weekly. Responsibilities that the person in this position will assist with include:
• Working with directors and designers as required to coordinate set, sound, lighting, prop, and other technical and design needs for productions and performances
• Building, assembling, painting, collecting, or otherwise preparing set, sound, lighting, built props, and other technical and design needs for productions and programs
• Working with volunteer crews as available to assist with building and technical needs
• Working with the Executive and Artistic Director, production directors, and stage managers to schedule load-in and load-out of sets, props, and technical equipment
• Organizing, inventorying, and maintaining set pieces, tools, paint, building materials, and technical equipment and supplies
The ideal candidate will be organized, motivated, and able to work well both independently and with directors, designers, stage managers, volunteers, and the Executive and Artistic Director. Specific working hours can often be set by the employee him or herself provided work is completed by given deadlines. Set and technical elements for NBYT productions are often quite simple and easily realized; the position requires a familiarity with simple set building, lights, and sound (or the enthusiasm and ability to learn), but not expert level experience.
To apply, please send an email to Executive and Artistic Director Darren Farrington by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone inquiries please.
About New Britain Youth Theater
Founded in 2010, New Britain Youth Theater is a professionally-run community and educational theater for children and teens in Connecticut. NBYT produces a season of performances by and for children and young adults, provides educational programming to schools in and around New Britain, and offers drama classes and individual coaching and lessons. The theater reaches children and their families in Greater New Britain, Greater Hartford, the Farmington Valley, and throughout Connecticut. NBYT programs include “Kids on Stage!” and “Little Kids on Stage!” productions, the NBYT Teen Company, Performance Skills classes, in-school and after-school arts-integrated and arts-enrichment programming, community outreach programs, and more. NBYT is dedicated to enriching the lives of children and young adults by encouraging creative thinking and collaborative teamwork, fostering self-confidence and self-esteem, and developing social and academic skills through involvement in high-quality, low-cost programs in the performing arts. NBYT operates its programs in community spaces and schools throughout Greater New Britain, and is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.