Educational efforts include after-school literacy-based drama programs (which will be at thirteen elementary and middle schools in New Britain and Plainville this year), homeschool enrichment programs, and performance classes and workshops (in acting, improv, and musical theater) held at Trinity-on-Main Performance Center in downtown New Britain. A community of school administrators, teachers, teaching artists, and teaching assistants make all of this happen—not to mention the funders who really make it possible!
NBYT is also a community theater for children, teens, and their families in Greater New Britain, Greater Hartford, the Farmington Valley, and throughout Connecticut—with forty-five towns represented by our participants so far! Our Little Kids on Stage!, Kids on Stage!, and Teen Company productions are all part of our community theater season which serves hundreds of families each year.
As a community theater, NBYT relies greatly on parent and family volunteers. If your child is auditioning for The Tale of Snow White, Great Expectations, or James and the Giant Peach* this season, please consider volunteering in one of the following positions. Some require a bit of a time commitment, but others take very little time—but still mean very much to us! Some jobs can even be shared with other parents or family members.
- Assistant Stage Managers: Attend certain rehearsals, especially as the show gets closer, and help backstage during some performances (but not all, because we want you to see the show too!)
- Costume Assistant: Helps the costume designer, stage manager and/or director to collect and organize costumes
- Props Assistant: Helps the stage manager and/or director to collect and organize props
- Set Construction and Painting: Helps to build, assemble and/or paint the set and set pieces
- Photographer: Takes photos at rehearsals (especially as costumes and sets are added) and at least one performance
- Program Coordinator: Helps to collect program bios, shout out ads, and other information
- Publicity Coordinator: Helps to coordinate the distribution of posters and lawn signs
- Raffle Coordinator: Helps to collect prizes and organize a raffle at each performance
- Cast Party Coordinator: Helps to coordinate and set up a party for the cast and crew after the final performance
- Volunteer Coordinator: Helps to recruit other parent and family volunteers for additional assistance backstage and in the lobby during tech week and performances
To volunteer or find out more about these opportunities to help NBYT (your community theater!) please contact Executive Director and Producer Darren Farrington at email@example.com or 860-515-8115.
* Click on the links for audition details for The Tale of Snow White and Great Expectations. Auditions for James and the Giant Peach will be on February 23 and 24.